Tuesday, November 23, 2010

99 Taurus - Changed power steering pump. Growling with not much assist.?

I just bought this car power steering was wonky and leaking so I figured the pump had likely got dry a few times and screwed the pump.

By wonky I mean that the steering seemed to have good assist at times and not good at others. It was kind of come and go.



I put a new pump on and now I am getting very little power assist most of the time. When I am parked in my alley and I turn the wheels back and forth it seems to almost fully assist but the pump is growling most of the way.Fluid level is good. Not sure how long it may take to bleed the system. I turned the wheel fully side to side several times on 3 different occasions. I also took it for a drive and it seemed there was some assist but may have only seemed that way cause the car was moving. Now that I read this it is pretty much the same as before.



I am now assuming it is the steering gear. Not to excited about changing that. Looks like hell. Possibly a clogged line or power steering fluid filter?



Any help, suggestions are greatly appreciated,



Brad99 Taurus - Changed power steering pump. Growling with not much assist.?There is air trapped in the system. you have to create a vacuum in the reservoir using a tool that looks like the cap except it has a fitting for a vacuum pump to connect to. check auto zone for this tool.99 Taurus - Changed power steering pump. Growling with not much assist.?yea maybe a line or filter.. check with your local auto parts store to find out if you have a filter but then again you may have just replaced it with another bad pump... whether new or used a pump can be bad... i would try replacing the pump again first.. seeing as how u should have a warranty on it anyway.. that would save you some cash if this is the problem.... if this still does not resolve the issue and you checked the lines and filters (if applicable) then try the steering gear.. but it doesn't sound like it would be the issue... also flush all the lines with clean fluid.. but man it really just sounds like another bad pump.. sorry... good luck man!

No comments:

Post a Comment